Monday, September 6, 2010

Back to MT for something a little different

After a relaxing and productive day off with Sarah in Cheney, John picked me up to drive back to Montana. That night we got to the camp on Flathead lake where we'd be staged the next few days. Rick (the groom) and a few family and friends where there. It was fantastic to see John and Rick again, to catch up with them and hear some Cle Elum and Forest Service news (we worked together the past few years).

While the boys did their bachelor thing, I got to relax around camp and explore a little on my own. The next day, John and I got an early start, drove into Glacier National Park, and set off on a hike up to a fire lookout. This was a different part of the park then I'd hiked in the other week, very different and nice. Being out hiking with John again was just wonderful; made me want to go back and ranger again!

John hiking up to Huckleberry Lookout

The day couldn't have been much better, warm and sunny. We enjoyed a little ridge walking and picked delicious huckleberries on the way down.

View from the Lookout

We got back in time to get John to the wedding rehearsal, then cleaned up for the rehearsal dinner that evening. It was fun meeting so many folks from all over the country gathered for Rick and Adair, such a great group of people.

After thunder showers in the morning and a little worrying, the afternoon of the wedding turned out beautifully. Flathead Lake was a picturesque setting for such a lovely affair.

What a beautiful ceremony!

Adair and Rick, the newly wed couple!

John, Rick, and me. For a couple of wilderness hippies, I think we clean up pretty well.

First Dance

Dinner and dancing that evening was a ton of fun! This sure added another fantastic element to my bike trip. Fortunately, my parents had gotten my dress to John so that I didn't have to show up in bike clothes.

Always early risers, after a short night, John and I headed back into the Park for another little adventure. We'd hoped to scramble up a few peaks, but the weather forced us to a back up plan-a very short hike up a small peak right at Logan Pass. As we left the parking lot, the snow started to fall and the surrounding mountains were rapidly engulfed in the clouds. Our first snow of the season and we were in heaven! The meadows and peaks around us began to turn white as the world quieted down. However, the winds were a little rough and we weren't exactly prepared for a snow storm, but were just so happy to be out there it didn't much matter.

Winter arrives


Great visibility on the summit

John and me, summit shot

The hike was short and we quickly headed back down to a lodge for the blazing fireplace and a warm meal. This morning we packed up and drove back to Washington.

So, here I am back in Cheney and getting ready for the final few days of my bike. It hasn't yet some close to sinking in that I have a mere five riding days left. My line across Washington will be about a direct as it can be as my year is almost up and I'm looking forward to my next step: Whitefish, MT! I got the job coaching the Glacier Nordic competition team there and am super excited for the move!

No comments:

Post a Comment