Saturday, September 12, 2009

Hair We Go!

It’s been a busy last few days running around finishing everything up and saying goodbyes. The weather didn’t exactly cooperate for my last week of work with lots of rain and the first snow of the season, but it turned out good enough. We had a nice Birthday/Send off party, a nice way to say goodbye to everyone. I’m going to miss my Forest Service family a lot, you guys are all incredible!

Getting back to Seattle I’ve been all over the place getting last minute things done. I think I’ve just about got it all (for now). The biggest excitement/change was cutting my hair. It’s turned out quite different then I had imagined and I even kind of like it. Hopefully no one is disappointed that I didn’t exactly shave my head-I tried to find people to do it and no one wanted any part of it (except Felicia, you’re awesome!). So, with a free haircut coupon I entered a salon for the first time in maybe ten years. Being real hair people (in training) they actually wanted to do something with my hair, so I let them play. It was a bit nerve-racking watching it all go, but nice to finally reach my longtime goal of donating it, and getting it manageable for this trip. Promised pictures are below.

As I finalized my packing, I was able to load my bike for the first time. Yikes. I can’t lift it! I’ve been trying to figure out what I can take out of my gear, but haven’t been able to make any difference; guess I’ll just have to build a lot of muscle. I also rode loaded for the first time. After a near fall while mounting, I realized I’m now riding a semi-truck. The balance, weight and steering, is so different and much more of a challenge. It’s going to be a really rough few weeks to get into shape and it’ll be SLOW going for awhile.

After a great family get-together at Kubota this evening, I’m as ready as I’ll ever be to start my journey in the morning. I’ll be riding downtown and taking the ferry to Bremerton in order to get to nicer pastures on the Peninsula.

A huge thank you so much to everyone who has helped me thus far in preparing for this moment. Your support, encouragement, ideas and ears have been vital in getting me on my way. I’ll be thinking of all of you often and will do my best to keep up my part of the bargain by blogging somewhat consistently.

No comments:

Post a Comment